Thursday, December 22, 2005

I'm confused

One of the things about our world that particularly frustrates me is how our leaders are able to lie to us – blatantly – and still be re-elected to office. I just don’t understand it.

Bush & Blair both lied to their countries to get in to the war in Iraq. Yet they’re both still in office. I don’t get it. Why doesn’t the public shout and scream and demand their resignation, demand that we not be treated like idiots and not be lied to?

I’m not saying Saddam was a good man. But these people lied to us to take us in to a war they wanted. And now, 2.5 years later, we’re still there. All the while, our schools and hospitals at home are falling apart and crying out for more funding. Why?

The worst part is, I just don’t see a way out. I want our troops out of there right now, but at the same time if they do leave right away then Iraq will just descend in to more chaos. The might of two of the world’s strongest nations cannot bring under control a country in which they have installed their own puppet government. If that doesn’t tell you that we’re not wanted there, what will?

The general public is so lazy. We don’t ask questions of our leaders any more. And the worst part is, our governments are using the trouble they themselves are stirring to justify creating draconian laws that increasingly prevent us from exercising the very freedoms they shout and sing about from the rooftops.

OK – rant over. Just a few questions to finish with. Did anyone hear about what ever happened to that man who was dramatically forced to the ground and arrested outside Downing Street on 7/7? How could American intelligence really honestly not still have found bin Laden? If these guys canny find bin Laden, and ‘honestly’ got their intel so wrong on Iraq’s imaginary WMD, and famously attempted to make links between Iraq and al Qaeda where there weren’t any, why haven’t the public risen up and demanded change?

Seriously, I just don’t get it. I’m so glad I don’t live in Iraq, slightly less glad that I don't live the US, and very, very disappointed in what's happening to the UK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home