Tuesday, December 13, 2005

What's in a degree?

It’s week twelve of semester one – the last week of term. If there’s one thing all students agree on, it’s that the semesters always fly by, and seem to pass faster every year.

Looking back, I can’t believe that it’s been over 4 years since I started my course. More frightening still is the thought I’ll be graduating next year. Student life has its tough moments, but I wouldn’t swap it for the world. It’s hit me with so many fantastic moments, so many opportunities, and, most importantly, it’s up to me if and when I get out of bed in the morning. So much freedom – when else in my life will I get 5 months off at summer?!

The problem, however, is that degrees no longer have the value they once did. A degree no longer guarantees you a job; it merely grants you a licence to hunt, along with thousands of others eager graduates. Nowadays, you have to do some much more over and above your degree to prove that you’re better than the next guy, and in my opinion that’s a real shame.

Work experience, voluntary work, curing cancer, helping sick children, solving world hunger – top employers expect graduates to be superhuman. They no longer trust the education we have received, so hit us with their own numerical, verbal and aptitude tests. The problem with encouraging so many more people in to higher education is that, by definition, standards drop as a result.

I’m proud of my degree – I feel I’ve really worked hard for it. But, apparently, 5 years of higher education is no guarantee that I can do the job. Better get on with that solution to global warming I’ve been working on between classes, eh?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

salaam boy!
Yo i read ur blog everyday! haha, yeah i know i have time at work!

So anyways, i htink ur my motivation to start up my own blog! Seems like fine and a bit of a rant avenue.

take care bro, speek to u soon

13/12/05 11:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home