Thursday, February 02, 2006

At last!

As I mentioned last night, the reason I’ve not been posting much over the last few days is that I’ve had other things on my mind. Pretty big things, actually – things that are about as big as big things can get. Big, Big Things.

It’s been a while since I’ve written a personal post, so here goes. When I was at school, I always knew I enjoyed maths and science more than art and music (strangely, I’ve also always enjoyed English). So when it came time to go to university, engineering seemed the logical choice. I chose mechanical engineering because it was so broad, and as I had little idea at the time of what I wanted to do for a career, I figured it would allow me to keep my options open.

I can be quite an indecisive person, and have flip-flopped between potential careers throughout my time at uni. Initially I wanted to go in to the aerospace industry, until I discovered I had neither the required aptitude nor any interest in the nitty-gritty of it, so dropped that idea in second year. I went on exchange to the University of Toronto during third year, and during my time there became something of a building geek. So on my return to Glasgow the following summer, I did an internship at a building services engineering firm. In short – interesting job, crappy pay.

During my fourth year I figured I was worth a lot more than what I’d make working as a building services engineer in Glasgow, so instead I investigated the management consulting/big City firms to follow the money. I did an internship with Accenture between my 4th and 5th years, which was very challenging and good fun to do for three months. The best thing I can say about Accenture is that it’s the people who make it a great place to work – everyone is outgoing, down to Earth, good fun to be around and very smart. I was genuinely surprised by how nice everyone was, as I’d expected to be surrounded by people with their heads up their behookies (apparently those types are primarily confined to the financial services companies).

Trouble was, I didn’t find the work at Accenture all that satisfying… and to find out what happened next, including the Big Things I was talking about, you’ll have to tune in at the same time tomorrow!

Yeah yeah, I know what you’re thinking… Crappest. Cliffhanger. Ever.

Bite me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home